October 31: Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) is observed across India on 31 October to commemorate birth anniversary of Independent India’s first Deputy Prime Minister Sardar Vallabhai Patel.
Observance of the day provides an opportunity to re-affirm inherent strength and resilience of our nation to withstand actual and potential threats to unity, integrity and security of our country.
2016 Theme: “Integration of India”.
To mark this occasion various activities and events are being organised across ministries and departments all over the country. Besides, Run for Unity was organised in New Delhi.
The idea of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas was mooted by PM Narendra Modi in October 2014 to mark the birth anniversary of country’s first Home Minister Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- He was born on 31 October, 1875 at Karamsand, Gujarat. He is known as the Iron Man of India or Bismarck of India.
- By profession, he was a barrister and had successfully practiced law. Later he left law practice and joined the Indian national movement under leadership of Mahatma Gandhi.
- In India’s independence struggle, he played a major role in organizing peasants’ movements on Gandhian principles in Bardoli and Kheda in Gujarat and during the Quit India movement.
- His biggest contribution to India was his role in the integration of the over 500 princely states with India during 1947-49.
- He is also remembered as the Patron Saint of India’s civil servants for establishing modern All-India services.