October 14: World Sight Day
World Sight Day is observed on the second Thursday in months of October. In the year 2021, the day was observed on October 14.
- This day is a global event which seeks to draw attention on blindness and vision impairment.
- It was originally started in the year 2000 by the Sight First Campaign of Lions Club International Foundation.
- It is considered as most important advocacy and communication day in the eye health calendar.
- It is observed with the aim of bringing global attention to impairment and blindness.
Theme of the day
The theme of World Sight Day 2021 is ‘Love Your Eyes’.
Background of the day
The first World Sight Day was observed by the Lions Clubs International partnered with blindness presentation organizations in the year 1998. The event was later integrated into VISION 2020, which is a global initiative, coordinated by IAPB (International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness) Observance of the day is a joint program between WHO and the IAPB. It comprises of professional association, non-government organizations and eye-care institutions & corporations.
Significance of the day
- This day is significant because, there are more than billion people across the globe who cannot see properly as they do not have access to glasses. Out of them, one billion people are suffering with preventable vision impairment.
- Poor or lost eyesight leave long-lasting effects on every aspect of life, such as on daily personal activities, school & work, daily routine and interacting with the community.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|