“Nirmal Bharat Yatra”
Ministry of rural development launched a campaign named Nirmal Bharat Yatra which aims at making the country free from open defecation.
- The yatra began from Wardha District of Maharashtra and will go through Indore, Kota, Gwalior, and Gorakhpur and will conclude in Bettiah district of Bihar.
- Several NGOs and private companies are promoting the campaign which will be organized at the cost of over Rs 12 crore and will to target over 9 crore people to spread awareness about sanitation.
- As per World Health Organisation and UNICEF:
with 626 million people defecating in the open, India has largest population without access to toilets.
- Poor sanitation and hygiene is the single biggest cause of malnutrition in India.
- Sikkim is the state which has achieved the status of ODF (Open Defecation Free).
- Sanitation Ambassador is the well known actress: Ms. Vidya Balan