NGT asks for Performance guarantee to ensure conservation efforts of River Yamuna
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has asked for a performance guarantee of Rs 10 crore each from the governments of Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh expressing dissatisfaction over the cleaning of river Yamuna.
The order comes after the interim report filed by the monitoring committee comprising of expert member B S Sajwan and former Delhi chief secretary Shailaja Chandra.
Recommendations of the Monitoring Committee
The committee tasked with developing an action plan and a detailed report had made the following recommendations in its interim report:
- A study to assess the environmental flow of the river Yamuna for the stretch between Hathanikund and Okhla and notes that it would not be possible to rejuvenate it unless minimum environmental flow was provided.
- Creating ponds and pits in various localities to facilitate idol immersion.
- Building awareness about why the flood plains are sacrosanct and why they need conservation.
- Involvement of citizens by dissipating knowledge about why the river is important and why it is worth preserving and restoring.
- River Yamuna is a unique birding destination and there is a need for the Delhi Development Authority to preserve the birding hot spots.
Other observations made by the National Green Tribunal
The other observations include:
- The performance guarantee would be forfeited if the work was not carried out as per the recommendations of the monitoring committee.
- The monitoring committee was asked to expeditiously submit its final report.
- Steps to be taken by the three states at the earliest for disposal of municipal solid waste, cleaning of drains and ensuring cleaning of garbage.
- Haryana pollution control board to conduct a study of water quality and the flow of Yamuna at the point it enters Haryana, and submit the list of industries located in the catchment area.
NGT also noted that almost 67 per cent of the pollutants that enter the Yamuna would be treated by two sewage treatment plants at Delhi Gate and Najafgarh under the first phase of the Maili se Nirmal Yamuna Revitalisation project.
NGT directs States to Establish Nodal Agency to protect Water Bodies
The National Green Tribunal recently directed all the states and union territories to designate a no...
Facts Box: Key Findings of Katakey Panel
On May 27, 2020, a major or fire broke out at Baghjan oil well of Oil India Limited. The fire couldn...
Snubbing Unit from Canada to control Assam Baghjan fire burning for 5 months
The Oil India Limited recently announced that a new technique snubbing unit is to be brought from Ca...
Kaleshwaram Project gets Environmental Clearance
On October 20, 2020, the National Green Tribunal granted environmental clearance to the Kaleshwaram ...
Stricter Norms for Commercial Use of Groundwater Set by NGT
The National Green Tribunal has set very stringent guidelines for the commercial use of groundwater ...
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|