Navy gets Virtual Reality Centre for Designing Warships
Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba inaugurated state-of-the-art Virtual Reality Centre (VRC) in New Delhi. The Virtual Reality Centre is expected to provide a major boost to indigenous warship design capabilities of the Navy.
Virtual Reality Centre
- The VRC is housed at the Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Group).
- It seeks to provide impetus to self-reliance and greater fillip to warship construction under the Make in India initiative of the Indian government.
- The VRC centre will facilitate collaborative design reviews for continuous interaction between designers and end-users to improve design and ergonomics onboard warships.
Directorate of Naval Design (Submarine Design Group) is a premier organisation for the design of submarines and submersibles. The Directorate of Naval Design (Submarine Design Group) undertakes:
- Platform design of underwater vessels- From Concept design to Detailed design.
- Support for indigenous development of submarine systems and equipment.
- Comprehensive design support for project execution.
- Design support for modernization of operational submarines.
The Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Group) which made a humble beginning in the 1960s has made major contributions towards indigenous warship design capabilities of the Indian Navy improving self-reliance for warship design and construction.
Category: Defence Current Affairs