Nationwide River Ranching Programme launched in Uttar Pradesh
Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Parshottam Rupala, launched the River Ranching Programme on October 8, 2021.
- The programme was launched at Brijghat, Garh Mukteshwar, Uttar Pradesh
- Along with Uttar Pradesh, other 4 states namely, Orissa, Uttarakhand, Tripura and Chhattisgarh also participated in the launch of ‘nationwide River Ranching program’.
- 3 lakhs fingerlings were ranched at 3 sites in UP, namely, Brijghat, Tigri, Meerut, Garhmukteshwar and Bijnor.
- In Uttar Pradesh, about 500 people participated in the national level launching of River Ranching program.
- 1 lakh fingerlings were ranched at Chandi Ghat, Ganga River in Haridwar district of Uttarakhand.
- 85 lakh of fingerlings were ranched at 4 sites of Tripura namely, Gomati River in Udaipur; Khowai river in Teliamura; Dhalai river in Kamalpur and Deo River in Dashamighat. About 218 participants attended the program.
River Ranching Programme
River ranching programme was introduced as special activity under the ‘Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) scheme to augment and enhance fish production and productivity by expanding, intensifying, diversifying and utilizing land & water productively.
Who is the implementing agency?
National Fisheries Development Board, Hyderabad is the nodal agency under central component of the PMMSY. The board has been designated by the “Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries”.
What is the need of programme?
As the human population is growing, requirement of high-quality protein & demand of fish is increasing gradually. Thus, to promote sustainable use and conservation of fishery resources in an economical and environmentally responsible manner, River Ranching Programme was launched. This programme will help in achieving sustainable fisheries, conserving biodiversity, assessing ecosystem services, reducing habitat degradation and maximizing social-economic benefits. It will also ensure the upgradation of traditional fishery, trade & social protection of Inland communities and ecosystem sustainability.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|