National Portal for Transgender Persons
The Government of India has launched the National Portal for Transgender persons. The portal will help the transgender community to apply for identity card and certificate online. It was developed under the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020. The major benefit of the portal is that the portal will help the transgenders to obtain the certificate without any physical interface. Also, the portal will help the transgenders to get the identity cards in their self-perceived identity which is an important provision of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
Key Features of Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019
- According to the act, the transgender persons are defined as someone whose gender does not match with their gender assigned during birth.
- The act prevents discrimination against transgenders in education, employment, healthcare, housing and other services.
- It mandates that the persons will be recognised as transgenders based on the identity cards. The identity cards are issued by the District Magistrates.
- It enforces minor right of residence. This compels the transgenders below 18 years to cohabit with their family.
- According to the act, it is the right of the transgenders to undergo sex reassignment surgeries. Also, it is their right to claim other health facilities.
National Council for Transgender Persons
The council advises the central government on the formulation of programmes, policies, legislation and projects. It monitors and evaluates impact of the policies and programmes designed for full participation of transgender persons. It redresses grievances of transgender persons. The chairperson of the council is the Minister of Social and Justice Empowerment. The council will also include five members from transgender community, a member from NITI Aayog, National commission for Women, National Human Rights Commission. It also includes representatives from Union Territories and states on rotational basis.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs