National Digital Health Mission
The Government of India recently approved the Health Data Management Policy of the National Digital Health Mission. It sets out minimum standard for data privacy protection to be followed to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The policy is to act as a guidance document across the National Digital Health Ecosystem.
About National Digital Health Mission
In response to the National Health Policy’s goals to adopt digital technologies, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare constituted a committee headed by J. Satyanarayana to develop a framework for the National Health Stack. This committee produced the National Digital Health Blueprint (NDHB), with the action plan to holistically implement digital health. NDHB further evolved into National Digital Health Mission. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the establishment of the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) on Independence Day 2020. The mission aims to create a national digital health ecosystem that supports universal health coverage, collaborating with other government programmes, including the Aadhaar identification programme and the Ayushman Bharat Yojana. NDHM includes health ID, Digi-doctor, telemedicine, e-Pharmacy and healthcare registry.
The mission is implemented by the National Health Authority under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The mission aims to achieve the following:
- To establish Digital Health Systems. These systems will manage infrastructure requirements and core digital health data
- To create registries. The registries will hold all credible data of healthcare professionals, clinical establishments, healthcare professionals, drugs and pharmacies.
- To establish standardized personal health records
- To achieve health related Sustainable Development Goals
- To make health care services portable nationally
The four major components of National Digital Health Mission are National Health Electronic Registries, National Health Analytics Platform, Federal Personal Health Records Framework and other horizontal components (such as payment gateways, unique digital health ID, health data dictionaries, etc.).
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs