Nancy Pelosi: receives JFK Profile in Courage Award 2019
The USA’s House of Representatives (lower house of US) Speaker Nancy Pelosi was honoured with 2019 John F Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.
- About Pelosi: She has served in House of Representatives since 1987. She was recognized for putting national interest above her party’s interest, for her efforts to pass former President Barack Obama’s 2010 health care law (Obama Care) and also for helping Democrats reclaim control of U.S. House during 2018 elections.
- The award was presented at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston.
- Previous Honorees: former Presidents Barack Obama, Gerald Ford and prominent lawmakers Rep. John Lewis and late Sen. John McCain.
About John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award
- It is an annual award that was created in 1989 by members of President J.F. Kennedy’s family. It seeks to honor J.F. Kennedy and to recognize and celebrate quality of political courage which he admired most.
- The award recognizes a public official (or officials) at local, federal or state level whose actions speaks of qualities of politically courageous leadership. It is given in spirit of ‘Profiles in Courage’, which was President Kennedy’s 1957 Pulitzer Prize-winning book.
Note: John F Kennedy was the 35th president of United States. His served from January 1961 till his assassination in November 1963.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News