Namami Gange: Six Mega Projects, “Ganga Avalokan” to be inaugurated
On 29 September, 2020, PM Modi is to inaugurate six mega projects under Namami Gange Mission through video conference.
About the Projects
The projects to be inaugurated are as follows
- Construction of 68 MLD STP
- Upgradation of 27 MLD at Jagjeetpur, Haridwar
- Construction of 68 MLD Jagjeetpur Project
- Inauguration of 26 MLD in Rishikesh
- Construction of 18 MLD STP at Darai, Haridwar
- Inauguration of 5 MLD STP at Chirpani. Also, two STP at Badrinath.
MLD is Million Litres per Day and STP is Sewage Treatment Plant.
The PM Modi along with these projects is to inaugurate Ganga Avalokam. It is the first museum of Ganga that is dedicated to showcase the biodiversity, rejuvenation and culture in Ganga river. The museum is located in Haridwar.
The Prime Minister will also launch a book “Rowing Down the Ganges” that was co-published by National Mission for Clean Ganga and Wildlife Institute of India.
The Prime Minister will also release a logo of Jal Jeevan Mission, Magdarshika for Gram Panchayats and Paani Samitis under Jal Jeevan Mission.
Around 30 projects have been completed in Uttarakhand under the Namami Gange Mission. These projects are aimed at treating pollution from 17 Ganga towns in the state.
It is an umbrella programme was established to achieve two objectives as follows
- Effective Abatement of Pollution
- Conservation and Rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
It is operated under Ministry of Jal Shakti. It is implemented by the National Mission for Clean Ganga. The main pillars of Namami Gange Programme are as follows
- River Front Development and river surface cleaning
- Bio-Diversity and Afforestation
- Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure and Industrial Effluent Monitoring
- Public Awareness
Recently the World Bank approved a five-year loan of Rs 3,000 crores under Namami Gange Project. So far 313 projects were cleared under the mission at a cost of Rs 25,000 crores.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs