Mr. Ahmet Uzumcu re-appointed as OPCW Director General
At the 18th Session of the Conference of State Parties, Mr. Ahmet Uzumcu was re-appointed as the OPCW Director General.
Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
- An independent, international body established in 1997.
- Objective: To implement the Chemical Weapons Convention.
- Has a working relationship with the UN.
- Headquarters: The Hague, the Netherlands.
- Conducts inspections of destruction procedures, as well as evaluating members’ own declarations, in order to examine that the convention is being followed.
About Ambassador Ahmet Uzumcu
Turkish career diplomat
Director-general of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) since 2010
Represented Turkey at the United Nations Office in 2006 and Conference on Disarmament in Geneva and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Council between 2002 and 2004
2013: Nobel Peace Prize went to OPCW headed by Ahmet Uzumcu.
OPCW is currently working in destroying Syria’s chemical weapons stockpiles which marks as the first time the OPCW is working in a war zone.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|