Modi to attend Quad summit on September 24
According to Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Prime Minister Narendra Modi will participate in Quad leaders’ summit in Washington on September 24.
- PM Modi is also scheduled to address the General Debate of high-level segment of 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York on September 25.
- He will be participating, along with his counterparts from Australia, Japan and US in the Leaders’ Summit of the Quadrilateral Framework.
Agenda of the summit
- These leaders will review progress made since their first virtual summit on March 12 and will also discuss regional issues of shared interest.
- They would also exchange views on contemporary global issues like critical & emerging technologies, connectivity & infrastructure, maritime security, cyber security, humanitarian assistance, climate change, disaster relief and education.
- Summit will also provide valuable opportunity for dialogue and interactions among these leaders.
- They will share dialogue on shared vision of ensuring a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.
- Progress made under QUAD Vaccine initiative would also be reviewed.
In March 2021 meeting of QUAD, they launched the QUAD Vaccine Initiative efforts to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.
Quadrilateral Dialogue (QUAD)
QUAD was formed in 2007 including four countries- US, India, Japan and Australia. However, it did not take off initially because of several reasons. The grouping was revived in 2017 in the backdrop of growing convergence among countries, rising threat perceptions with respect to China and increasing significance of the Indo-Pacific region. QUAD countries regularly meet at the working- and ministerial levels and discuss mutual interests like ensuring free, open, & inclusive Indo-Pacific as well as rules-based international order.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|