Mishri variety of cherries from Kashmir exported to Dubai
First Commercial shipment of Mishri variety of cherries was exported to Dubai from Srinagar on July 6, 2021 in order to boost horticultural exports.
- In June, a sample consignment was sent to Dubai from Sri Nagar prior to this shipment.
- After an encouraging response from consumers in Dubai, first commercial shipment was exported to Dubai.
- Mishri variety of cherries is delicious in taste and contain vitamins, minerals & plant compounds with health benefits.
- Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) produces more than 95% of India’s total production of commercial varieties of cherries.
- J&K produces four varieties of cherry namely Double, Makhmali, Mishri and Italy.
How shipment was exported?
Cherries were harvested, cleaned and packed by exporter registered under APEDA. Technical inputs were provided by Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Science and Technology of Kashmir. Food safety & quality support was provided by APEDA-National Referral Laboratory at National Research Centre for Grapes, Pune to create a brand for cherries in Middle East countries.
Significance of export
Commencement of commercial shipment of cherries will provide bigger opportunities for exports of other temperate fruits such as pears, plums, apricot and apples from Kashmir to Middle East countries in forthcoming seasons.
Role of APEDA in Boosting export
APEDA holds interactions with farmers, farmer producer organizations (FPOs), government officials and other stakeholders to boost exports potential of agricultural produce like apples, almonds, saffron, walnuts, fresh fruits, rice, & vegetables and certified organic products from Kashmir. Several virtual awareness creation programmes with help of local producers, suppliers, FPOs and exporters are being conducted in the region to ensure export of temperate fruits.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|