Men’s Hockey Champions Trophy 2014 to be held in Bhubaneswar
As per the announcement of International Hockey Federation (FIH), Bhubaneswar, capital of Odisha will host the 35th edition of the Champions Trophy men’s hockey tournament to be held from December 13-21 in 2014.
The event will be held at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar which is currently undergoing renovation. The event will be hosted by Hockey India in collaboration with Orissa state government.
Hockey Champions Trophy
- The Hockey Champions Trophy is an international field hockey tournament organized by the International Hockey Federation (since 1978).
- Founder: Pakistan’s Air Marshal Nur Khan in 1978
- Initiator: Pakistan Hockey Federation as a men’s tournament in 1978
- Teams: 8 elite hockey teams compete in a round robin format of hockey.
- Period: Initially, it was an annual event from 1980 for men and 1987 for women. Later changed into a biennial event from the 2014 editions onward due to the introduction of the Hockey World League.
- Achievers: Australia stands on top in men’s event by winning the trophy 13 times followed by the Germans (9), and the Dutch (8). Pakistan is the only Asian champion, with 3 titles. In the women’s event both the Netherlands and Australia have won the trophy 6 times, while Argentina won 5 titles.
- India has never won Hockey Champions Trophy
Winners of 2012: Men’s – Australia, Women’s– Argentina
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|