Major General Per Lodin appointed head of UNMOGIP
Major General Per Lodin from Sweden was appointed as chief military observer and head of the UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP).
His appointment was approved by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. He will succeed Major General Delali Johnson Sakyi of Ghana whose two-year term completes on July 2, 2016.
About Per Lodin
- Previous to this appointment he was Director of Procurement and Logistics for the Swedish Armed Forces.
- His distinguished military career in the Swedish Army began in 1978. Earlier he had served as deputy director of the National Armaments for Sweden (2012-2014).
- He also had served as director of Strategic Planning and Development (2008), head of Strategies Research and Development and Business Development (2007) and Deputy Chief of Staff at the Swedish Armed Forces (2005-2006).
About UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP)
- UNMOGIP has been established by UN Security Council (UNSC) Resolution. It had started its operations in 1949.
- It observes and reports on ceasefire violations along and across the Line of Control (LoC) between the nuclear-armed India and Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir.
- UNMOGIP has 44 military observers, 25 international civilian personnel from 10 countries and 47 local civilian staff. The group is financed by the United Nations regular budget.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2016