Mahakavi Day: Tamil Nadu to observe on Subramania Bharati’s death anniversary
Tamil Nadu government has decided to commemorate the death anniversary of Subramania Bharathi, a firebrand poet & freedom fighter, as Mahakavi Day.
- Death anniversary of Subramania Bharati is on September 11.
- Year 2021 will mark the 100th death anniversary of the poet.
- His works ignited patriotism and left indelible mark on Tamil literature.
- To mark the centenary, weekly events will be held at the Bharathiyar Memorial House in the state for next one year.
- Government will also be conducting a state-level poetry competition for school and college students and “Bharati young poet Award’’ will be presented along with a purse of Rs one lakh.
- Women Livelihood Mission will also be renamed after Bharatiyar. This scheme is to be implemented by the rural development department.
Manathil Urithi Vendum (Firmness in Mind)
To mark the centenary, government will bring the Manathil Urithi Vendum book. It will comprise of compilation of her poems and essays. Books will be brought at the cost of Rs 10 crore and distributed among 37 lakh school students. Government will set up a separate wing ‘Bharathiyar’ to compile the books of Bharathiyar.
Theme of the events
Government will be organising events under the theme ‘parengum Bharathi’ (Bharathi everywhere), in collaboration with World Tamil Associations.
He was a Tamil writer, poet, social reformer, journalist as well as Indian independence activist. He is popularly known as “Mahakavi Bharathi”. He was the pioneer of modern Tamil poetry and is considered as the greatest Tamil literary figures of all time. His fights were for emancipation of women and against child marriage. He stood for reforming Brahminism & religion and in solidarity with Dalits & Muslims.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|