Madhya Pradesh, the state with maximum forest cover area
As per latest India State of Forest Report 2011, amongst all the Indian states, MP has the maximum Forest Cover area in country.
As per latest India State of Forest Report 2011:
- Geographical area of the country is under Forest and Tree cover: 23.81% i.e. 78.29 million hectare
- Madhya Pradesh has 11.24% of the total forest land in the country
- Arunachal Pradesh with 67,410 kms under forest cover stands, second
- Chhattisgarh with a forest cover of 55,870 kms, stands third
- As compared to the data of 2009 there is a decline of 367 sq km in country’s forest cover
- 15 states registered aggregate increase of 5000sq km in their forest cover with Punjab at the forefront with an increase of 100sqkm
- 12 states/UTs (mainly the NE states) show a loss of 867sqkm forest
- Decrease of 281 sq km in Forest cover of Andhra Pradesh is mainly related to harvesting of mature plantation of Eucalyptus & other species
- Fall in Forest cover of North East is attributed to the practice of shifting cultivation in this region
- In terms of % of forest cover in compared to total geographical area, Mizoram tops the chart with 90.68% followed by Lakshadweep with 84.56%
*Some path-breaking chapters added in 2011 report are concerned with:
- Assessment of bamboo resources
- Production-consumption assessment of wood based on data stock in India’s forests
- Assessment of carbon stock in India’s forests
Global Forest Goals Report, 2021
The United Nations recently released the Global Forest Goals Report, 2021. According to the report, ...
FAO Report: Global Forest Resources Assessment, 2020
On May 13, 2020, the Food and Agriculture Organization released the Global Forest Resources Assessme...
Study of Community Forest Resources by Ministry of Tribal Affairs
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs recently commissioned a study about Community Forest resource Rights....
International Day of Forests observed on 21 March
The United Nations General Assembly declared 21 March as the International Day of Forests in 2012....
Lai Haraoba Festival begins in Tripura
On January 2, 2020, the Lai Haraoba festival began in Tripura. The festival will be celebrated for 5...
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2012
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|