Looming Global Economic Slowdown leads to a recession
As per a report put out by Morgan Stanley, which is one of the world’s leading global financial firms, the world economy appears to be heading towards a recession. However, fortunately for India, as per the initial projections of the Morgan Stanley group, the economic downturn is not going to affect India.
What has happened?
- The bond yield curve, which is the measure of the total yield of the returns on the bond in the short term and in the long term has inverted.
- This is one of the clearest signs of a looming recession and the shape of the curve is similar to what was observed before the 2008 Great Financial Crisis.
- The issue has been compounded by the looming trade dispute between the US and China.
- Policy uncertainty in the US and the looming Brexit have also contributed to the volatility in the economy.
- Morgan Stanley estimates that the global economy will enter into a recession with the 3 quarters and it would be a first recession to hit the global economy since 2008.
- However, India, despite its grim performance in key economic areas like automobiles, is not going into a recession.
- Analyzing global trends, global banks have cut lending rates to ease the credit flow and stimulate their economies.?
- The Central Banks of India, New Zealand, and Thailand have all cut lending points by over 35, 50 and 25 basis points respectively.
What is a recession?
In economic terms, a recession is referred to as a business cycle in which a widespread contraction takes place in the economy due to a general decline in economic activity.
A Recession mainly occurs when a widespread drop in spending (an adverse demand shock) occurs. Hence, the Central Banks are making the supply of credit cheaper.
RBI announces Second Tranche of purchase under G-SAP 1.0
The Reserve Bank of India recently announced that the second tranche of open market purchase of Gove...
China launches classified Yaogan satellites into orbit
China recently launched Changsei 2C rocket from the Xichang satellite launch centre. It is a Yaogan ...
What is Commodity Super Cycle?
The prices of commodities from corn to crude oil to rubber, rhodium, copper, soy bean has been incre...
RBI to conduct first SLTRO for small finance banks
The Reserve Bank of India recently announced that it is to conduct the first Special Long Term Repo ...
RBI sets up Committee to assist RRA 2.0
The Reserve Bank of India recently constituted a Committee under the Managing Director S Janaki Rama...
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|