London Olympics 2012 Highlights
It was the 30th Summer Olympics (London Olympics 2012) that concluded in London on 12 August 2012.
In the 17-day event, nearly 10500 athletes from 204 National Olympic Committees participated in as many as 26 sports events.
· US topped the medal tally clinching total 104 medals.
· It bagged 46 Gold, 29 Silver and 29 Bronze
· China took away a total of 88 medals and stood 2nd.
· It clinched 38 Gold, 27 Silver and 23 Bronze.
· Great Britain won 65 medals and finished 3rd.
· It bagged 29 Gold, 17 Silver and 19 Bronze),
· Russia with 82 medals (24 Gold+26 Silver+32 Bronze) was at 4th place
· South Korea with 27 medals (13 Gold+8 Silver+6 Bronze) finished 5th
· India with a total of 6 medals (2 Silver+4Bronze) stood at 55th position.
India’s performance at London Olympics 2012
Indian contingent had 83-member team to the London Olympics 2012. India secured a total number 6 medals which is a record for the country.
Shooting, 25m rapid fire
MC Mary Kom
Where does India stand in Olympics?
The First participation from India was in Paris Olympics 1900 after Norman Pritchard, an Anglo-Indian, participated in two events and won silver in both the events. India sent its first contingent to Summer Olympics in Antwerp Olympics 1920 and since then it sends its team in every Olympics.
In the last 112 years of modern Olympics, India has won only 9 gold and 8 of them have come from hockey and one in individual shooting event. If these six medals of Londond 2012 are included India now stands at 26.
Major Performers at London Olympics 2012
• Michael Phelps won 6 medals (4 Gold+2 Silver) in swimming to become the most decorated Olympian ever with 22 medals.
• Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt bagged 3 gold in three separate events (100 meter race, 200 meter race and 4X100 meter relay team race). He set up a new Olympic of 9.63 seconds in 100 metres.
• Germany beat Netherlands 2-1 to win gold in men’s hockey.
• Mexico defeated Brazil 2-1 to bag Soccer gold.
• In Men’s Basketball, US beat Spain to win gold
• Andy Murray of Great Britain defeated Roger Federer of Switzerland to clinch tennis men’s singles gold
• Russia beat Brazil to win men’s volleyball gold.
• In Men’s singles Badminton, Dan Lin of China won gold after beating Malaysian Chong Wei Lee.
Mascots at Olympics
Since Munich Olympic Games in 1972 when Waldi, a dachshund, was made the symbol of Munich games, mascots have been assigned to every Olypics.
Mascots for London Olympics were Wenlock and Mandeville.
Wenlock was mascot for Olympics and Mandeville was mascot for Paralympics.
31st Summer Olympics
Reo de Janeiro in Brazil, has been awarded to host 31st Summer Olympics, in 2016.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|