Lok Sabha passes National Commission for Homeopathy Bill, 2019
Published: September 14, 2020
National Commission for Homeopathy Bill, 2019 has been passed by the Lok Sabha, today. The bill is aimed at ensuring availability of high quality medical professionals for homeopathic treatment. Earlier, the bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 19th March 2020 during the Budget Session.
National Commission for Homeopathy Bill, 2019
This bill was introduced in Rajya Sabha by the Minister of State for AYUSH, Mr. Shripad Yesso Naik, on January 7, 2019. It seeks to repeal the homeopathy Central Council Act, 1973. It also provides for a medical education system so as to ensure,
- Availability of high quality homeopathic medical professionals.
- Adoption of the latest medical research by the professionals.
- Periodic assessment of institutions.
- Effective grievance redressal mechanism.
Key features of the Bill
- The Bill sets up the National Commission for Homeopathy (NCH) which consist of 20 members, who will be appointed by the central government.
- Members of the NCH will include- the Chairperson, President of the Homeopathy Education Board, President of the Medical Assessment and Rating Board for Homeopathy, Director General, National Institute of Homeopathy, Advisor or Joint Secretary in-charge of Homeopathy, Ministry of AYUSH, and four part-time members.
- State governments will establish State Medical Councils for Homeopathy at the state level within 3 years after the bill is passed.
- Functions of the National Commission for Homeopathy:
- To frame policies so as to regulate medical institutions and homeopathic medical professionals.
- To assess the requirements of human resources and infrastructure related to healthcare.
- To ensure the compliance by State Medical Councils of Homeopathy.
- To ensure coordination between the autonomous boards namely Homeopathy Education Board, Medical Assessment and Rating Board for homeopathy and the Board of Ethics and Medical Registration for Homeopathy.
- The Bill suggests for a uniform National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for admission in under-graduate homeopathy education.
- The Bill proposes a common final year National Exit Test to obtain license for practice for the students.
- The Bill also suggests for a National Teachers’ Eligibility Test for postgraduates of homeopathy who want to make career in teaching homeopathy.
Category: Legal & Constitution Current Affairs