Key Cabinet decisions on NHM
On October 9, 2019, the cabinet appraised decisions under Empowered Program Committee (EPC), Mission Steering Group (MSG) and National Health Mission. The press release statements of the cabinet are as follows
- MMR (Maternal Mortality Rate), U5MR (Under 5 Mortality Rate) and IMR (Infant Mortality Rate) has declined since the launch of NHM. India will reach its SDG goal of MMR – 70 and U5MR – 25 by 2030 at this rate. The rate of MMR decline is 8% (2013 – 2016).
- India achieved the biggest success in bringing down Malaria cases and deaths by 49.09%. It is now leading with its initiatives against malaria among the other Malaria endemic countries
New decisions and schemes
- Similar to Clean India Mission where districts and states were declared ODF – Open Defecation Free, the districts and states will be declared disease free under the awarding scheme. This will promote competitiveness among the states. The diseases to be certified are TB, Leprosy, Malaria, Kala – Azar, Cataract, Lymphatic Filariasis.
- National Viral Hepatitis Control Program was approved
- It was rolled out to treat Hepatitis A, B, C and E
- More than 5 crore patients are estimated to be benefited from the program.
- Home Based Care for Young Child program was introduced under POSHAN Abhiyan.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs