Jawaharlal Nehru Port
Jawaharlal Nehru Port, also known as the JNPT or the Nhava Sheva, is the largest container port in India. It is located to the?east of Mumbai city in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The JNP Trust (JNPT) Container Terminal is operated by the JNPT Authority.
The JNPT is located on the Arabian Sea and the access to the JNPT is provided by the Thane Creek. The JNPT is named after the villages of Nhava and Sheva villages which were displaced to make space for the project.
- The JNP consists of a Custom House and over 30 Container Freight Stations.
- It also provides the connectivity to 52 Inland Container Depots located all across the country.
- The total quay length of JNPT port is over 680 meters (2,230 ft) with 3 berths.
- The JNP current accounts for over half the total container volumes which are handled by all the ports of India and over 40% of the nation’s overall containerized ocean trade.
What the future holds?
- The JNPT is the planned terminal for the under-construction Western Dedicated Freight Corridor.
- The completion of the Dedicated Freight Corridor (DFC) will increase the train capacity from 27 to 100 trains per day.
- It aims to achieve the capacity of 10 million TEUs by the year 2020-21 and there are plans to add two more Terminals.
- The new terminals will be the 330M Stand-alone Container Terminals (operated by DP World) and the 4th Container Terminal (of the Singapore Port Authority).
- It also has a planned Satellite Port which will be located at the Vadhvan Point, JNP.
Major Port Authorities Bill, 2020
The Major Port Authorities Bill, 2020 was recently passed in Lok Sabha. The bill aims to regulate, o...
Mumbai: 60th most Expensive in the world
According to the Mercer’s 2020 Cost of Living Survey, Mumbai is the 60th most expensive city in th...
GoI launches paperless licensing of petroleum service stations
On January 20, 2020, the Department of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) announced that it has lau...
Delhi Government releases Guarantee card on free bus services, water & electricity
On January 19, 2020, the Delhi Government released the guarantee card that consisted of 10 guarantee...
Report of Task Force on National Infrastructure Pipeline released
On December 31, 2019, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman released a report of task force on Nationa...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|