Jan Aushadhi Stores
The Jan Aushadi Kendras were established under the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) campaign to provide the generic drugs which cost less but are the equivalent in quality and effectiveness of expensive branded drugs.
The PMBJP was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals with the aim to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the common people of the country.
Salient Features about the Jan Ausadhi Stores (JASs)-
- The JASs were opened to bring down the healthcare budget ( by making quality medicines available at affordable prices) of every citizen (but primarily, the poor and disadvantaged) of India by providing Quality generic Medicines at very affordable prices.
- The normal working hours of JAS are 8 Am to 8 PM.
- Along with the medicines and surgical items (supplied by BPPI), the JAS also sells allied medical products to improve the economic viability of running the Jan Aushadhi stores.
- The OTC (Over-the-counter) products can be purchased by any individual even without a prescription with a doctor’s prescription is needed to purchase scheduled drugs.
- Commercial cardiac medicines which are retailed in the market at Rs 35 are sold by the JAS at Rs 5.
Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India
The Bureau of Pharma Public Sector Undertakings of India (BPPI) was established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, to co-coordinate the procurement, supply, and marketing of generic drugs through the Jan Aushadhi Stores.