ISSF’s Pistol World Cup
In the ongoing Pistol World Cup, Indian shooters have put up an exemplary performance and have won eight of the 11 single-shot shooting duels between the international teams.
How does the single-shot dueling work?
- In such an event, the combined score of one pair of shooters is compared with those of the other pairs of shooters.
- The high scoring among the shooters is awarded a total of two points.
- The first pair to get to sixteen points wins the match.
- This adapted format will also be used in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
India at the Pistol World Cup
- With its successive wins, India has finished the ISSF tournament at the very top of the medals tally.
- India has won a total of five gold, two silver, and two bronze.
- With the latest win, India, a recognized international shooting superpower, has finished at the top of all four ISSF Rifle/Pistol World Cup events in 2019.
About the ISSF
- The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) is the primary administrative body for the Olympic Shooting events in the rifle, pistol and shotgun (clay target) categories.
- It is also responsible for organizing several non-Olympic Shooting sport events like the ISSF World Cup.
- The ISSF’s activities also involve the regulation of the sport and looking after qualifications for the Olympics.
- The ISSF also organizes several international shooting competitions like the ISSF World Cup Series, the ISSF World Cup Finals and the ISSF World Championship in all events.
- The ISSF was founded in 1907.
- It was earlier known as the International Shooting Union. However, it then changed its name to ISSF in 1998.
- Today, the ISSF has over 150 National Shooting Federations affiliated to it from Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania.