IPL 2020 tournament to be held in UAE
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has confirmed that the IPL 2020 Tournament is going to be held in UAE from September 19 and it will end on November 10, 2020. Among the main changes introduced due to the COVID 19 Pandemic this year, it has been decided that COVID 19 substitutes will be allowed for all the teams.
The decision to conduct the IPL was taken in the IPL Governing Council Meeting held on 02nd August 2020. The main decisions taken were:
- Dates: The tournament will commence from September 19 and will continue for a period of 53 days to have its concluding ceremony on November 10. The earlier date for the final was decided as Nov 8.
- Match-timings: The matches will be held from 7:30 pm IST for the evening matches whereas, for the afternoon matches, they will commence from 3:30 pm IST.
- There will be no fans in the stadium in the initial phase of the tournament though they will be allowed in the middle phase of the tournament.
- All the existing sponsors for the tournament will continue working with the BCCI for the IPL 2020.
- All the teams participating in the cash-rich league will leave for the UAE after August 26, 2020.
- The squads of each team will have 24 players and they will be allowed to substitute players for COVID 19 related ailments.
- All the players will travel only in chartered flights from their countries to take part in the league.
- The SOPs will be published very soon as the BCCI is working with an expert committee to chalk out the same at the earliest.
The tournament was earlier scheduled to start from March 29 but it had to be postponed owing to the outbreak of the COVID 19 pandemic all around the world. Later, BCCI thought of holding it in October-November due to the postponement of the Champions Trophy by ICC. The BCCI sent the proposal to the UAE Government after taking necessary approvals from the Government of India and now that has been approved by the UAE. This is the first time IPL is taking place in the UAE.
Category: Sports Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|