International Day of Persons with Disabilities: December 3
Every year, International Day of Persons with Disabilities is celebrated on December 3 by the United Nations and several other organisations spread all over the world. This year the day is celebrated with the following theme
Theme: “Building Back Better: Towards a disability-inclusive accessible and sustainable post COVID-19 World”.
The International Day of Persons with Disability was first proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1992. It aims to promote well-being and rights of the persons with disabilities and increase the awareness of situation of persons with disabilities in social, political, economic and cultural life.
Need for International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- There are more than 1 billion persons with disabilities in the world. Of these 80% live in developing countries.
- Of the disabled persons in the world, 46% are older than 60 years.
- The persons with disabilities are among the hardest hit by COVID-19.
Steps by the United Nations
In 2006, the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted. The other major United Nations frameworks that included disabilities as a major part are as follows
- 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goal
- New Urban Agenda
- Addis Ababa Action Agenda on Financing Development
- Charter on Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities with Humanitarian Action
- Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
Sustainable Development Goals
The following goals include disabilities as a major part in their agenda
- Goal 4: Inclusive and Equitable Quality of Education
- Goal 8: To promote inclusive, sustainable economic growth. This is to be achieved by providing productive employment to all men, women and persons with disabilities.
- Goal 10: To reduce inequality
- Goal 11: To make human settlements, cities safe, inclusive and sustainable.
- Goal 17: To strengthen and revitalise global partnership for sustainable development.
United Nations Disability Inclusion Strategy
It aims to support implementation of Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, SDGs, Agenda for Humanity and Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. It was launched in June 2019.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
Topics: 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development • Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities • Disability • International Day of Persons with Disabilities • Sendai Framework • Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction