International Day of Clean Air for blue skies
International Day of Clean Air for blue skies is being observed on September 7th, 2020. The day is first of its kind.
- Raising public awareness, the individual, community, corporate and government level about the importance of clean air for health, productivity, economy and the environment.
- Establishing close link of air quality to other environmental and developmental challenges such as climate change vs the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Promoting and facilitating solutions that can improve air quality
- Bringing together diverse international actors to gain momentum for concerted approaches for effective air quality management.
- The resolution to hold an International Day of Clean Air for blue skies was adopted on December 19, 2019 during 74th session of United Nations General assembly.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is facilitating the observance of the International Day.
United Nations General Assembly
United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations (UN). It is the main policy-making organ of the UN. The body makes the UN budget, appoint the non-permanent members to the Security Council and the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
United Nations Environment Programme
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP or UN Environment) is a body under the parant organisation United Nations. It coordinates the UN’s environmental activities and assist developing countries in implementing policies and practices suitable for environment. It was founded in 1972.
Category: Environment Current Affairs