Inland Vessels Bill 2021, introduced in the Lok Sabha
On 22 July, 2021 the Inland Vessels Bill, 2021 has been introduced in the Lok Sabha amid the hullabaloo in the house due to the Pegasus snooping scandal.
- This bill will bring uniformity in the application of the law which are related to navigation and inland waterways within India.
- The Bill was introduced Sarbananda Sonowal who is the newly appointed Ports, Shipping and Waterways Minister.
- This bill seeks to provide protection of life and cargo, safety of navigation and prevention of pollution.
- The Inland Vessels Bill will promote safe and economical transportation.
- This Bill has also been brought to bring in accountability and transparency of the administration of the inland water transportation, survey, strengthen procedures governing inland vessels their construction, manning and navigation and registration.
- At present, India has 4,000 kms of operational inland waterways in the country.
About Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways
On 8th November, 2020 the Ministry of Shipping was renamed to the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways. The current minister for this department is Sarbananda Sonowal.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|