India's First Lady Suvra Mukherjee passes away
India’s First Lady Suvra Mukherjee, wife of President Pranab Mukherjee passed away in New Delhi. She was 74.
On 7th August 2015, she had suffered a cardiac arrest and was admitted to Research and Referral Army Hospital.
About Suvra Mukherjee
- Suvra Mukherjee was born on 17th of September 1940 in Jessore (now in Bangladesh).
- She was married to Mr Pranab Mukherjee in 1957 and they have three children- Sharmistha Mukherjee, Abhijit Mukherjee and Indrajit Mukherjee.
- Suvra was a vocalist of Rabindra Sangeet and was an ardent fan of India’s national poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- She had founded the Geetanjali Troupe to propagate Rabindranath Tagore’s philosophy as expressed through his songs and dance-dramas.
- For many years she had performed in the poet’s dance-dramas in different parts of India and across Europe, Asia and Africa.
- Suvra was also highly talented painter who had many solo and group exhibitions to her credit.
- She had also written two books Chokher Aloey (personal account of her close interaction with former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi) and Chena Achenai Chin (a travelogue recounting her visit to China).