India’s Jagjit Pavadia re-elected International Narcotics Control Board (INCB)
India’s Jagjit Pavadia was re-elected to International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) for another five-year term beginning 2nd March, 2020. This victory has added to India’s successful record of winning crucial elections at United Nation (UN) and to UN’s subsidiary bodies.
About Jagjit Pavadia
- She has been member of INCB since 2015 and her current term will expire in 2020.
- She has held many senior positions in Indian Revenue Service (IRS) for 35 years in Government of India (GoI), which includes Narcotics Commissioner of India, Central Bureau of Narcotics (regulated by India’s Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs, Ministry of Finance).
- It is an independent and quasi-judicial monitoring body.
- Function: It implements UN’s international drug control conventions.
- It was established in 1968 in accordance with Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961 by merging ‘Permanent Central Narcotics Board’ (created in 1925 by International Opium Convention) and ‘Drug Supervisory Body’ (created in 1931 by Convention for Limiting the Manufacture and Regulating Distribution of Narcotic Drugs).
- Members: It has 13 members (they may be re-elected). Each member is elected by Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for a period of five years. The 10 members out of 13 are elected from list of persons nominated by Governments and remaining 3 are elected from persons nominated by World Health Organization (WHO) for their medical, pharmacological or pharmaceutical experience.
- Secretariat: is located at Vienna, Austria. It is an administrative entity of UN Office on Drugs and Crime. It assists INCB in exercise of its treaty-related functions but reports only to Board on matters of substance.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: Austria • Central Bureau of Narcotics • Drug Supervisory Body • Economic and Social Council • ECOSOC • Government of India • INCB • International Narcotics Control Board • Jagjit Pavadia • Narcotics Commissioner of India • Permanent Central Narcotics Board • Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961 • Vienna
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|