Indian Railways to introduce Tri-Netra to check collisions
Indian Railways will soon introduce Tri-Netra (terrain imaging for diesel drivers infrared, enhanced optical and radar assisted) system on its trains to reduce train accidents.
Tri-Netra is an advance system is made up of a high-resolution optical video camera, high-sensitivity infrared video camera and a radar-based terrain mapping system. These three components will act as three eyes (Tri-Netra) of the Locomotive Pilot.
The requirement for this advance system gained more pace after 14 bogies of the Patna-bound Indore-Rajendra Nagar Express went off the tracks near Kanpur Dehat on 20 November 2016. It was one of the worst railway accidents in recent times in which over 146 passengers and 200 people were injured.
How it works?
- The Tri-Netra system uses infrared and radar technology to collect signals up to a distance of 2-3 km and displays the information on a screen fitted inside the locomotive.
- In case of any physical obstruction on railway tracks ahead it will alert the drivers and thus give ample time for the driver to apply the brakes to prevent train accidents.
- It will be very useful during fog, heavy rain and nights, when drivers have to constantly look outside the locomotive to judge the condition.
- Tri-Netra will help reduce train accidents by keeping a record of the track maintenance and will also provide better visibility during foggy days.
- The system provides a locomotive pilot a clear view of up to one kilometre on a straight track, even during inclement weather.
- This will also help in maintaining high speed in poor visibility and avoid delay in arrivals. The new technology has been used on a trial basis and has shown good results.
Why were the Goa Infra Projects red flagged?
The Central Empowerment Committee appointed by the Supreme Court recently raised serious concerns of...
Basic customs duty and health cess on medical oxygen, equipment launched
The Government of India has granted complete exemption from basic health cess on import of oxygen-re...
Indian Railways runs Oxygen Express
The Ministry of Railways recently announced that it is to create a Green Corridor to ensure fast mov...
National Climate Vulnerability Report
The Department of Science and Technology recently launched the National Climate Vulnerability Report...
Indian Railways completes the arch bottom of Chenab bridge
The World’s highest Bridge called the “Chenab Bridge” has completed a major milestone after th...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|