Indian Coast Guard Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Karnaklata Barua commissioned
On September 30, 2020, the Indian Coast guard Vessel Karnaklata Barua was commissioned at Kolkata. The commissioning was done through video conferencing.
The ICGS Kanaklata Barua is one of the five FPVs (Fast Patrol Vessels) built by GRSE (Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers). The GRSE is a Defence Public Sector Undertaking. It was delivered in June, 2020.
About Fast Patrol Vessels
The vessels were designed for maximum speed of 34 knots. They are medium range surface vessels with a length of 50 metres, width of 7.5 metres and displacement of 308 tonnes.
Indian Coast Guard
It is an armed force, search and rescue agency that protects maritime interests of India. It is a Martime Law Enforcement Agency. It was established in 1978 by coast Guard Act, 1978. It operates under Ministry of Defence. The following are the missions of Indian Coast Guard
- To protect artificial Islands
- To protect marine ecology and environment
- To protect fishermen and mariners at ea
The responsibilities of the Indian Coast Guard are Offshore security coordination, national maritime search and rescue, coastal security.
Coast Guard Stations in India
There are 42 Coast Guard Stations in India. They are divided under five broad regional Head Quarters. They are
- North East Region, Kolkata
- Eastern Region, Chennai
- Andaman and Nicobar Region, Port Blair
- Western Region, Mumbai
- North West Region, Gandhinagar
Apart from this, the Indian Coast Guard operates five Coast Guard Air Stations and ten Coast Guard Air Enclaves.
Artificial Islands in India
The following are the Artificial Islands in India
- Willingdon Island: It is the largest artificial Island located in Kochi, Kerala
- Murud-Janjira in Maharashtra
- Jag Mandir: It is a palace built on Lake Pichola. It is located in Udaipur, Rajasthan
- Nehru Garden
- Taj Lake Palace: Udaipur, Rajasthan
- Jal Mahal: Palace in the middle of Man Sagar Lake in Jaipur.
- Kesar Kyari
Category: Defence Current Affairs