Indian CEC assumes charge as AWEB Chairman
The Chief Election Commissioner of India, Shri Sunil Arora took charge as the Chairman of the Association of World Election Bodies(AWEB). India will hold the chairmanship of the AWEB for the duration of 2019-21. India has inherited the chairmanship from Romania.
What has happened?
- In a ceremony, the AWEB flag was handed over to the new chairman of the AWEB, CEC Sunil Arora. Since CEC Arora will retire from the Election Commission of India in 2021, he is expected to serve with the AWEB till the same time.
- The ceremony was attended by over 110 delegates from 45 countries.
Other significant announcements
- In his inaugural address, the CEC stated the fact that a number of nascent democracies are still working to achieve some form of stability in their political system by improving their electoral and legal systems.
- The role of organizations like the AWEB is crucial as they provide a valuable contribution, mentorship, professional support and knowledge transfer by the sharing of ideas and innovations amongst its members.
- CEC Arora announced that an AWEB Centre will be set up in India.
About the AWEB Center
- This center will be set up at the India International Institute of Democracy & Election Management, New Delhi.
- The center aims to enable the proper documentation, research sharing and training of new election staff. It will also be responsible for the sharing of best electoral and democratic policies.
About the AWEB
- The Association of World Election Bodies (AWEB) is an international body which was established on October 14, 2013 in South Korea.
- The AWEB is the World’s first global organization of election management bodies and aims to democratize the process of elections.
- The current membership of the AWEB is nearly 97 organizations from 94 countries.
Topics: Association of World Election Bodies • AWeb • CEC • Chief Election Commissioner of India • Election Commission of India • Election Commissioner of India • Government • Government of India • Sunil Arora