India ranked 143 out of 162 countries on 2015 Global Peace Index
As per recently released Global Peace Index (GPI) for year 2015, India was placed at 143th rank out 162 countries.
The report was published by Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP). India’s rank has remained same compared to previous year global rankings.
Key facts from Global Peace Index 2015
- Top 10 peaceful countries: Iceland (1st), Denmark (2nd), Austria (3rd), New Zealand (4th), Switzerland (5th), Finland (6th), Canada (7th), Japan (8th), Australia (9th) and Czech Republic (10th).
- Top 10 least peaceful countries: North Korea (153rd), Pakistan (154th), Congo (155), Sudan (156), Somalia (157), Central Africa (158th), South Sudan (159th), Afghanistan (160th), Iraq (161st) and Syria (162nd).
- India’s neighbours: Bhutan (18th), Nepal (62nd), Bangladesh (84th), Sri Lanka (114th), Pakistan (154th).
- In 2014, the violent events had cost $14.3 trillion from the global economy. It accounted for 13.4% of global GDP.
- About 50 million people i.e. 0.75% of the current world population are displaced.
- In 2014, deaths from terrorism were reported in 69 countries reported. It was up from 60 in 2013 highlighting the increasing use of terror tactics.
- In case of India, violence has cost it $341.7 billion i.e. 4.7% of its GDP in 2014 which is the fourth highest cost in the world.
About Global Peace Index (GPI)
- It is an annual report published by the Sydney (Australia) based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) since 2007.
- GPI uses 22 indicators to measure levels of world peace. Indicators range from a nation’s level of military expenditure to its relations with neighboring nations and the percentage of prison population in 162 countries. It also includes safety and security in society, extent of domestic and international conflict.
- The IEP is an international and independent think tank dedicated to draw the world’s attention towards peace as a positive, achievable, and tangible measure of human well-being and development.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2015