India hosts BRICS Summit virtually
Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, chaired the 13th BRICS Summit virtually on September 9, 2021.
Theme of the summit
India has chosen the theme of the Summit as “[email protected]: Intra-BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation and Consensus”.
- The Summit was participated by all other BRICS Leaders namely, President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro, President of Russia Vladimir Putin President of China Xi Jinping and President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa.
- During the summit, Indian Prime Minister appreciated the cooperation received from BRICS partners during Chair ship of India this year.
- Under India’s chair ship, BRICS took several new initiatives, including:
- First BRICS Digital Health Summit
- First BRICS Ministerial Joint Statement on multilateral reforms
- BRICS Counter-Terrorism Action Plan
- Agreement on cooperation in field of remote-sensing satellites
- Virtual BRICS vaccine Research & Development Centre
- BRICS Alliance on Green Tourism etc.
- During the summit, PM Modi highlighted the leading role played by BRICS countries in the post-COVID global recovery.
- He called for an enhanced BRICS cooperation with the motto of ‘Build-back Resiliently, Innovatively, Credibly & Sustainably’.
- Summit was concluded with the adoption of ‘New Delhi Declaration’.
How ‘build-back’ motto can be accelerated?
- He also stressed on the need of accelerating ‘build-back’ by:
- Enhancing speed and accessibility of vaccination
- Creating ‘resilience’ by diversifying pharma and Vaccine production capacities beyond developed world
- Fostering ‘innovation’ by using digital tools for public good
- Ensuring reform of multilateral institutions in order to enhance their credibility and
- promoting sustainable development with the help of common BRICS voice on environmental and climate issues.
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|