Iconic Eden Garden all set to host India?s first D/N Test match
History will be made at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens today, 22nd November 2019 as the first pink-ball Test on Indian soil begins between India and Bangladesh.
A Day/Night test match in the well known and the oldest format of Cricket, The five-day format which is the longest format of the game of cricket , was first introduced to make Test Matches more viewer-friendly for the people than the traditional Day format of the Test matches, which allows a person to watch the match after a day?s work.
Why the ball colour pink?
Traditional day format of the Test match is played with the red coloured ball, but for the D/N tests Pink was settled upon after several trial and error experiments with yellow and fluorescent orange ball. Pink was found to be most comfortable for the players and viewers under lights and especially TV cameras to spot the ball.
First D/N Test was played between Australia and New Zealand from November 27 to December 1, 2015,?at the Adelaide Oval with Australia winning the game by 3 wickets.
About India?s first D/N test match :
- Guest of honour: Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
- Eden bell to be rung by Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at 12:55 pm.
- The match begins at 1 pm, with the 1st session to continue till 3 pm, followed by a lunch break of 40 mins from 3 to 3:40 pm.
- Post lunch session to be played from 3:40 to 5:40 pm, followed by a tea break of 20 mins.
- And the final session to conclude from 6 pm to 8 pm.
- Going into the match, India is ranked 1st in the ICC world Test rankings, while Bangladesh is ranked at 9th? ??