IAAF World Relays 2019 in Yokohama concludes
The 2019 International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Relays was a two day biennial event which held from 11 May to 12 May 2019, in Yokohama, Japan. It offers platform for athletes to qualify for upcoming 2019 IAAF World Athletics Championships to be held in Doha, Qatar in September-October 2019.
About 2019 IAAF World Relays
- Participants: 43 nations from all over the world took part in competition.
- New Event Added: For 2019, two new mixed events were established:
- The 2 × 2 × 400 m relay (It replaces the 4 × 800 m relay which featured at last event)
- The shuttle hurdles relay
IAAF World Relays 2019 Winners:
Gold winners in Men’s events:
- 4x100m: Brazil
- 4x200m: US
- 4x400m: Trinidad & Tobago
Gold winners in Women’s events:
- 4x100m: US
- 4x200m: France
- 4x400m: Poland
- India competed in 4X400m relays (men, women and mixed relay). From India same squad which featured in Asian Athletics Championships in Doha in April 2019 was fielded.
- Both Indian men’s 4x400m teams and Indian women’s 4x400m teams finished at 17th position.
- The mixed 4x400m quartet of Hima Das, Saritaben Gayakwad, MR Poovamma, and VR Vismaya stood at 15th
About IAAF World Relays
- It is an international track and field sporting event.
- It sees participant teams from all over the world which compete in relay races. Some of these teams are not part of standard Olympic programme.
- It is organized by International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
- It is a biennial event i.e. it is held every odd year, just like IAAF World Athletics Championships.
- Moreover, IAAF World Relay serves as a qualification stage for IAAF World Championships in Athletics.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Sports Current Affairs