I. M. Pei, a pillar of modern architecture, dies at 102 in US
Ieoh Ming Pei, the globe-trotting, versatile, preeminent Chinese-US architect who created a distinct brand of modern building design with his sharp lines and exquisite structures, has died at age of 102 years.
I.M. Pei was born on 26 April 1917, in Canton, China and in 1935 he came to United States with plans to study architecture. He studied architecture at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard University and had plans to practice in China. But World War II and revolution in China prevented him from going back
Renowned Works of I.M. Pei
In 1948 in US he started his early work of designing low-income housing, office buildings, and later shifted to designing mixed-used complexes to a worldwide collection of municipal buildings, hotels and museums. Some of them are Society Hill apartment complex in Philadelphia, Mile High Center office building in Denver, and Kips Bay Plaza Apartments in Manhattan.
His other renowned works includes:
- The trapezoidal addition to National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.,
- The chiseled towers of National Center of Atmospheric Research that blend in with reddish mountains in Boulder, Colorado.
- The multi-shaped Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, that is on shore of Lake Erie in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. Shows he captured the spirit of rebellion.
- He revived The Louvre with a Giant Glass (about 22-metre) pyramid in Paris
- Bank of China tower in Hong Kong,
- He even designed the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha, Qatar, which opened in 2008 to fanfare.
Awards Conferred to I.M. Pei
- National Medal of Arts in 1988 by President Reagan.
- Pritzker Architecture Prize in 1983.
- In 1979 he was awarded American Institute of Architects Gold Medal.
- Presidential Medal of Freedom (one of highest civilian awards of the United States) in 1992 by President George H.W. Bush.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
Topics: American Institute of Architects Gold Medal. • Bank of China tower • Harvard University • Ieoh Ming Pei • Massachusetts Institute of Technology • Modern Architect • Museum of Islamic Art • National Center of Atmospheric Research • National Gallery of Art • National Medal of Arts • Presidential Medal of Freedom • Pritzker Architecture Prize • Rock and Roll Hall of Fame • The Louvre with a Giant Glass
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|