HRD ministry constitute sub-committee of CABE on issues of girl's education
The Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has constituted a sub-committee of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) to look into issues of girl’s education.
It will be headed by Telangana’s Deputy Chief Minister and Education Minister Kadiyam Srihari. It will submit its report to the Union government within one year.
Terms of reference of sub-committee
- Examine reasons for low participation of girls in education, including the socio-economic factors with resultant gender bias and suggest ways to reduce gender disparity to achieve better gender parity index.
- Assess current status of enrolment of girls across the country at primary, upper primary, secondary education and senior secondary levels.
- Analyse girls’ participation at all levels of school education across socio-economic groups of minorities, SC/ST and in rural-urban areas and reduce existing educational disparities among them.
- Examine the existing schemes, incentives and measures aimed at enhancing girls’ participation and ensure their retention in education.
- Suggest improvements and modifications in the existing schemes. Look into the issues of safety of girl students in schools, particularly in hostels and residential schools.
- Identify infrastructure gaps such as non-availability or non-functionality of separated toilets for girls which impede retention of girls.
- Compile best practices adopted by states/UTs for raising standards of girl’s education. Hold consultations with the Central/state governments and other stakeholders.