Harivansh Narayan Singh re-elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman
Harivansh Narayan Singh has been re-elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (RS) on September 14, 2020 by a Voice Vote. He is a National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate and Janata Dal (United) MP (Member of Parliament). MP Manoj Jha was put in front of Harivansh by the Opposition who is a MP from Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD). Name of Harivansh Narayan Singh was proposed by the president of Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) Jagat Prakash Nadda. His proposition was also supported by Thawarchand gehlot who is the Leader of the House.
Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha
It is a constitutional post under Article 89 of the Constitution of India. The article states that council of state shall choose a member of council as deputy chairman and if the member resigns or is removed the council should choose another member in order to not leave the office of deputy chairman vacant.
About Rajya Sabha
- It is the Upper house of the Parliament of India.
- As per the Article 80 of the constitution, maximum strength of the RS is 250 out of which 238 are elected, 12 are nominated.
- Currently, RS have a strength of 245 out of which 233 are elected and 12 are nominated by President for their contributions in art, science, literature and social services.
- This house is not subject to dissolution that means it is a permanent house with periodic retirement and appointment of the members.
- RS can be also be prorogued by the President.
- Vice President of India is the chairman of the RS. Currently, Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu is serving as the chairman.
Voice vote is also called as acclamation. It is a voting method in assemblies where vote is taken on a topic or motion by responding orally in the parliamentary procedure. It is the simplest and quickest voting method.
Harivansh Narayan Singh
He has worked as a sub-editor of the weekly magazine Dharmyuga till 1981 and as a assistant editor of weekly magazine “Sunday” of the Anand Bazaar from 1984 to 1989.
Category: Persons in News
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|