Greenland is an autonomous country of the Kingdom of Denmark, located at the crossroads between the Arctic and Atlantic oceans.
It is the world’s largest Island and lies east of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago.
The Capital of Greenland is Nuuk which hosted the 2016 Arctic Winter Games.
Greenland also has over 70% of its energy coming from renewable sources, mainly hydropower.
Governance of Greenland
- As stated earlier, Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Demark. However, the Danes have granted increasingly higher autonomy to the people of Greenland.
- Currently, the law government of Greenland assumes the responsibility for policing, judiciary, companies control & regulation, mineral resource activities, aviation, border controls, financial regulation and supervision.
- The Danish government is responsible for foreign affairs and defense of Greenland.
Significance of Greenland
Greenland’s proximity to the North Pole and the location of the global warming routes makes it highly significant. It is already hosted to several US Military installations established there since the Cold war.
Why is it in the news?
- The Island of Greenland is in the news as US President Donald Trump is in informal talks with his aides for the purchase of Greenland.
- However, Greenland which is a protectorate of Denmark has politely declined to be part of sales proceedings.
- This had occurred once more in 1946 when the United States offered Denmark USD100 million to acquire parts of? Greenland.
Food price index highest since 2014
The United Nations recently announced that the world food prices increased for the eleventh consecut...
Denmark laws to screen Foreign Investment
Denmark has passed a law to allow the screening of foreign investments so that they do not pose any ...
NATO Military Exercises launched
The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation recently launched the joint military exercises in Albania cal...
US House passes No Ban Act
The US House of Representatives recently passed a bill that will limit the ability of the President ...
US on Refugee Cap
The US President Joe Biden has planned to lift the refugee cap by May 2021. The former President Don...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|