Government to set up National Institute of Sports Science & Medicine
National Institute of Sports Science and Medicine, NISSM to be setup by the Govt. at the premises of Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi at a cost of Rs 200 Crore. The institute will aim at developing the much needed disciplines of Physchology, Nutrition, Biochemistry, Biomedical and Sports Medicine for providing cutting edge excellence, evaluation, performance and assessment related advice to evaluation, performance and assessment related advice to Indian Sports and athletes.
- NISSM is modeled on the lines of China Institute of Sports Sciences (CISS)
- During the visit of Indian President to China on 27 May 2010, the decision was taken to setup the Institute
- NISSM to be registered as Society under Societies Registration Act by November 1, 2011
- Institute to be headed by a Director equivalent to a Vice- Chancellor of a Central University
- NISSM to work in partnership with national and international partners from USA, UK, China, South Korea, Australia, Germany and South Africa
- NISSM to function under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports