Government approves operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens
Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) approved operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens. Operation Greens was announced by Union Government in Budget 2018-19 to stabilise supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) crops. It is aimed at ensuring availability of TOP crops throughout the country round the year without price volatility.
Strategy comprises series of measures
Short term Price Stabilisation Measures
National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED) will be nodal agency to implement price stabilisation measures. MoFPI will provide 50% of subsidy two components of transportation of TOP Crops from production to storage and hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops.
Long Term Integrated value chain development projects
- Capacity Building of FPOs & their consortium
- Quality production
- Post-harvest processing facilities
- Marketing / Consumption Points
- Creation and Management of e-platform for demand and supply management of TOP Crops
- Assistance and eligibility
The assistance under this strategy will comprise of grants-in-aid at rate of 50% of the eligible project cost in all areas, subject to maximum Rs 50 crores per project. Eligible organisations under it will include State Agriculture and other Marketing Federations, cooperatives, companies, Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO), Self-help groups (SHGs), food processors, logistic operators, supply chain operators, retail and wholesale chains and central and state governments.
It was announced in Union Budget 2018-19 on line of Operation Flood to promote FPOs, agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management. It aims to promote farmer producers organisations, processing facilities, agri-logistics and professional management. It also aims to aid farmers and help control and limit erratic fluctuations in the prices of tomatoes, onions and potatoes (TOP). It is essentially price fixation scheme that aims to ensure farmers are given the right price for their produce. The idea behind it is to double the income of farmers by the end of 2022.
Its major objectives are:
- Price stabilisation for producers and consumers by proper production planning in TOP clusters.
- Reduction in post-harvest losses by creation of farm gate infrastructure, development of suitable agro-logistics, and creation of appropriate storage capacity linking consumption centres.
- Enhance value realisation of TOP farmers by targeted interventions to strengthen TOP production clusters and their FPOs,
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition in TOP value chain.
- Set up of market intelligence network to collect and collate real time data on demand and supply and price of TOP crops.
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|