Government announces expansion of rotavirus vaccine in 5 states
The Union Government has announced the expansion of rotavirus vaccine in five additional states under Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP). They are Assam, Tripura, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
The announcement comes after 38 lakh children were vaccinated when the vaccine was first introduced in four states – Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- The rotavirus is one of the most common causes of severe diarrhoea in children less than 2 years of age. It is one of the biggest killers in children in India.
- It is responsible for nearly 78,000 deaths, 32 lakh out-patient visits and nearly 9 lakh hospitalizations every year.
- The vaccine will prevent Rotavirus diarrhoea in children which accounts for approximately 40% of hospitalizations from diarrhoea in India.
- Rotavirus vaccine supplemented by proper sanitation, hand washing practices, ORS and zinc supplementation will go a long way in reducing the mortality and morbidity due to diarrhoea in children.
- The Rotavirus is a genus of double-stranded RNA virus in the family Reoviridae.
- It most common causative agent of moderate-to-severe diarrhoea (MSD) among infants below 11 months age group and death among children less than five years of age.
- Transmission: The virus spreads from person to person due to bacterial and parasiting agents that are primarily transmitted through contaminated food or water.
- Impact on Health: It causes gastroenteritis after it damages the cells that line the small intestine and causes gastroenteritis. In some cases in causes malnutrition, delayed physical and mental development among children.
About Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP)
The UIP provide free of cost vaccines to all children across the country to protect them against 11 life threatening diseases. These 11 diseases are Tuberculosis, Pertussis, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Hepatitis B, Polio, Pneumonia and Meningitis due to Haemophilus Influenzae type b (Hib), Measles, Rubella, Rotavirus diarrhoea and Japanese Encephalitis (JE). (Rubella, JE and Rotavirus vaccine are given in select states and districts). It is the largest birth cohort in the world vaccinating around 26 million children annually.
Rural Infrastructure Development Fund
The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) recently announced that it provided...
Assam Elephants Death-Report indicates Lighting
Around eighteen Asian elephants died in Nagaon district of Assam recently. It is a proposed reserve ...
Putola Nach- Puppetry Art-form of Assam
A trust based in Assam recently made videos using the traditional art called “Putola Nach”. The ...
Odisha’s Gopabandhu Sambadika Swasthya Bima Yojana
The Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik recently declared working journalists of the State of Od...
ROPAX Jetty Project on River Dhamra
The Government of India recently approved Rs 50 crores to develop an all-weather ROPAX in Odisha. Th...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|