Gopinath Pillai awarded ‘Outstanding Service Award' for his services in Singapore
Indian-origin diplomat Gopinath Pillai was awarded ‘Outstanding Service Award’ for his services by the National University of Singapore (NUS).
Current he is serving as Ambassador-at-Large of Singapore and special envoy to Andhra Pradesh.
About Gopinath Pillai
- Gopinath Pillai was born in Singapore to Indian parents and had spent eight years of his childhood in Kerala.
- In 1961, he is graduate from University of Malaya and holds degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- He had started his career as a journalist with Reuters. He also has worked in a number of fields including banking and currently is chairman of IT company Savant Infocomm and is Director of Gateway Distriparks Ltd in India.
- Pillai has significantly contributed to Singapore through his distinguished service as a diplomat for more than 25 years.
- His diplomatic career started in 1980s with an assignment with Singapore’s Parliamentary Committee on Defence and Foreign Affairs.
- He had served as the non-resident Ambassador to Iran from 1990 to 2008.
- Later, he had served as the Singapore High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- Awards: He was conferred with Padma Shri in 2012 by the Government of India.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News