Good Governance Index 2021- Highlights
On December 25, 2021, Central government issued “Good Governance Index 2020-21”. The index has been prepared by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG).
- Gujarat, Maharashtra and Goa have topped the list.
- Gujarat registered an increase of 12% while Goa registered around 25% increase on indicators recorded by these states as compared to 2019.
- Uttar Pradesh recorded an incremental growth of around 9% as compared to 2019. Uttar Pradesh has secured the top position in commerce & industry sector.
- Uttar Pradesh has also improved in social welfare & development and judiciary & public safety sectors, besides in citizen-centric governance parameters.
- In this year’s index, 20 states have improved their composite ‘Good Governance Index’ (GGI) scores.
- J&K recorded a 3.7% improvement in GGI indicators. It performed strongly in commerce & industry sector.
Performance of Top States
- Gujarat performed strongly on five out of 10 sectors, including in economic governance, public infrastructure & utilities, human resource development, social welfare & development, and judiciary & public safety.
- While, Maharashtra performed strongly in agriculture & allied sector, public infrastructure & utilities, human resource development, and social welfare & development.
- Goa performed strongly in agriculture & allied sector, commerce & industry, public infrastructure & utilities, environment, economic governance and social welfare & development.
- Jharkhand recorded an incremental growth of 12.6% as compared to GGI 2019 performance. It performed strongly in seven sectors.
- Rajasthan witnessed incremental growth of 1.7%.
Northeast and Hill States category
In this category, Mizoram performed strongly in commerce and industry, public health, human resource development and economic governance.
Union territory Category
Delhi emerged as the best among the union territories. It performed strongly in agriculture & allied sectors, public infrastructure & utilities, commerce and industry, and social welfare & development.
Good Governance Index 2021
The Good Governance Index 2021 has covered 10 sectors and 58 indicators. GGI is a comprehensive and implementable framework that helps in assessing the status of governance across states and Union Territories, and enables ranking of states or districts. GGI is prepared with the objective of creating a tool, which can be used uniformly across the States & UTs to assess the impact of several interventions taken up by the Central and State Governments.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|