GoI releases Year End Review report of Energy Sector in the Country
On January 9, 2020, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy released its year end review. According to the report, over 150 GW of renewable energy has been installed so far in India.
India’s initiatives in 2019
- Under KUSUM initiative, around 17 lakh solar powered agricultural pumps were installed.
- Phase II of Grid Connected Roof top Solar Programme was launched. Under the programme, 40,000 MW of Roof Top solar power target was set.
- Under the Wind-Solar hybrid policy, 1440 MW of capacity was installed.
- Second Assembly of International Solar Alliance was held.
- The scheme to set up solar PV power plants in compliance with the WTO was approved. This was launched to encourage Make in India solar PV manufacturing sector
The Government in 2015 had set a target to install 175 GW of renewable energy by 2022. It includes 60 GW from wind, 100 GW from solar, 5 GW from small hydro power and 10 GW from solar. In order to achieve this, GoI had set up the Ultra Mega Renewable Energy Power Parks (UMREPP) under Solar Park Scheme.
According to Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC), India pledged that 40% of installed power will be from non-fossil fuel by 2030. Also, India had set a target to reduce emission intensity of GDP by 33 to 35% as compared to 2005 level.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs