Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE) is one of India’s foremost naval shipyard involved in ship construction.
It is located in Kolkata, West Bengal and is mainly involved in the construction and repair of commercial and naval vessels.
The GRSE has had a long association with the Indian Navy over the last six decades and the shipyard has delivered several warships and other vessels for India?s Navy and Coast Guard. Presently GRSE has also started building export ships in a mission to expand its business.
History of GRSE
- The GRSE was founded in 1884 as a small privately-owned company.
- It was later renamed as Garden Reach Workshop in 1916 and was nationalized by the Government of India in 1960.
- In 2006, it was awarded the Miniratna status, with financial and operational autonomy to unleash its competitiveness in the market.
- Currently, the GRSE has a strong order book of over Rs. 27,500 crores equipping the shipyard with a near-future full of work.
- These include 22 ships which are currently in various stages of construction and are expected to be delivered to the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard.
- Prominently, these include 3 ships of Project P17A frigate class which are being constructed using modern modular Construction Technology, 3D Modelling concepts and latest software like Aveva Marine etc.
Why is it in the news?
The GRSE recently delivered its’ 100th ship to the Indian Navy. Over the past 59 years, the GRSE has built around 780 naval platforms which include 100 warships to Indian Navy.