Gandhinagar becomes Gujarat’s first kerosene free district.
On October 25, 2019, Union Minister Amit Shah allocated 1000 LPG connections to women in Gandhinagar district of Gujarat. This makes Gandhinagar first district in Gujarat to become kerosene-free.
- The cooking gas was allotted to the women as a part of Ujjwala Yojana. The scheme has covered more than 75,000 beneficiaries at a cost of 6.13 crore rupees
- The home minister also handed over 480 middle income group houses in the same event
- Also, drinking water schemes were launched locally for the areas like Kudasan, Raysan, Sargasan in the district
- The minister laid foundation stones for development projects that includes underpass and two roads.
- A control center was inaugurated by the minister. The center will distribute beneficiary cards for the schemes of old age persons, widow women and Ayushman Bharat beneficiaries.
Kerosene free states
Chandigarh became the first city to become kerosene free. Government has been making plans since 2016 to reduce the usage of kerosene all over the country. The subsidies to kerosene will be completely removed by 2020. By 2018, over 8 states and Union Territories in the country became kerosene free namely Puducherry, Daman-Diu, Dadra Nagar Haveli, Andhra Pradesh, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana and Punjab.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|