Gallantry awards 2016
President Pranab Mukherjee has conferred the country’s highest peacetime gallantry award Ashok Chakra to Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami posthumously.
On the eve of 67th Republic Day celebrations President has approved 365 Gallantry awards and other Defence decorations to Armed Forces personnel and others. It includes one Ashoka Chakra, 4 Kirti Chakras and 11 Shaurya Chakras.
- Ashok Chakra: Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami (Posthumous). He belonged to 9 PARA (Special Force) and laid down his life while fighting LeT militants in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Kirti Chakra: Subedar Mahendra Singh of 9 PARA (Special Force).
- Sepoy Jagdish Chand (Posthumous) of 546 DSC Platoon.
- Shaurya Chakra: Colonel Santosh Mahadik (Posthumous) of 41 Rashtriya Rifle (PARA).
- Major Praphul Kumar Bhardwaj of 12 PARA (Special Force).
- Major Sandip Yadav of 55 Rashtriya Rifle (Armed).
- Major Anurag Kumar of 9 PARA (Special Force).
- Lieutenant Harjinder Singh of 3 KUMAON.
- Naik Satish Kumar (Posthumous) of 21 Rashtriya Rifle (Guards).
- Naik Kheem Singh Mehra of 21 KUMAON.
- Sepoy Dharma Ram (Posthumous) of 1 Rashtriya Rifle (MAHAR).
Kirti Chakra is the second highest peace time gallantry award i.e. awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice away from the field of battle. Shaurya Chakra is third highest peace time gallantry award generally awarded for counterinsurgency operations and actions against the enemy during peace-time.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|